Friday, July 10, 2009

birthday, rice, and dependency

We are leaving Cambodia on Monday and heading to Thailand.  It's sad to leave Kampong Thom because we have built many relationships and met many people that I love.  But, who knows?  Maybe I'll be back.  The past several days have been good.  We have continued on with our schedule of evangelism in villages and teaching.  I started the week feeling very tired and weak and for the first time 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (My power is made perfect in your weakness) has become a true reality for me.  I now know the truth of this verse.  In the midst of being physically tired, I have never felt spiritually stronger.  I was given a fresh burst of "spiritual" strength and excitement to make it through one more week here.  I have been clinging to Jesus, knowing that He is working through me.  I freaking love Jesus.  Seriously.  


I've also been realizing how fast these 6 months are slipping through my fingers.  I am not able to process all of the places, people, and things I've learned fast enough.  Starting with 3 months of "lecture" phase in New Zealand... basically those 3 months were what most people learn in church over the course of 3 years.  Crazy.  It's just hard to process it all and I want to get everything I can out of this time.  Still thinking a lot about what it's going to look like when I get home.  I know I am going to have to FIGHT for what I've come to know and love.  In these final weeks I am going to be fighting and pressing in to the things I know I will struggle with when I get home.  I am praying that God will seal all of this.  Emrie and I have grown to be such good friends (FFL).  She was planning on continuing traveling but has decided to go home right after graduation.  I am SO thankful for this precious friend.  Although we will not be in the same state, she will only be a phone call away and I know our friendship will continue growing when we are home.  I will have her to process this all with.  Praise the Lord.  I am also reminded of how amazing and unique my community at home is.  I am so thankful and blessed to have the friends I have at home.  


My birthday was so good.  Thank you to everyone who sent emails or facebook messages.  It is so good to hear from you even though we are on complete opposite sides of the world.  My team and the Cambodians made me feel so special.  Here are a few things that made this day special:

-23 balloons that fell during our meeting (each having reasons they loved me).

-My precious class singing Happy Birthday to me in their accents.  

-Planting rice and sharing the gospel.

-Telling my favorite Bible story (Daniel and the Lion's Den)

-Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and junk food with Emrie.

-Asian cake, homemade french fries, and coke.

-Homemade cards and presents.

It was definitely a birthday I will always remember.  Thanks to everyone who made it so special. 


This morning I woke up completely exhausted but my very first thought was being dependent on God.  I was overwhelmed that this literally was the first thought in my head.  I must be completely dependent on Him, just as Jesus was completely dependent on His Father (John 5:19).  God is here and I am depending on Him.  He gives me words in my weakness.  I feel His presence in me.  I am so thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment