Wednesday, April 1, 2009

radical vs. complacent

One thing I have been struggling with recently is what life will look like when I return to America.  Most of my team will continue travelling on thier around the world ticket.  I, on the other hand, have to be back 4 days after graduation in Israel to begin OT grad school.  It seems like a long way off but I know it will be here before I know it.  

So, in 5 months, what does life look like for me living in the city of Birmingham?  Knowing the need and urgency around the world for people to know and experience Jesus, its hard for me to think of going back to my comfortable life, driving my nice car, riding my horse (that isn't cheap), living in a nice house, etc.  I have been wrestling with the idea of what it will look like to live as a radical follower of Jesus in Birmingham, AL (before you freak out...every single one of us is called to live radically for Jesus...so even though "radical" may sound like a word for crazies, it's actually how we are created to live).  Don't get me wrong... I know there are plenty of needs to be met in Birmingham BUT there are SO MANY huge issues all around the world.  There are so many people who have never even had the choice to follow Jesus.  There are people groups with NO bibles in their language.  People continue to die daily without the choice of actually living.  There is an URGENCY.  And we are ALL called to spread the gospel.  We are His hands and feet.  

Over the past couple weeks I have come to the conclusion that He will use me in Birmingham.   It will be hard to come back after seeing so much need around the world, to being locked down to Birmingham for 3 years.  As much as I don't want to go back to school and want to travel the world, I have worked so hard to get into graduate school.  I think it is where He wants me (I hope?!).  I will trust in His plan.  Last week a young couple came to speak to us about their plans to move to Morroco to be missionaries.  Morocco is predominately Muslim (something like 20 million Muslims and an estimated 1,000 Christians).  She is going to work as a physical therapist there while her husband works for a bike company.  Their plan is to live normal lives in Morroco hoping to share Jesus.  I LOVED hearing this.  I was reminded that Occupational Therapy is a field that is needed and used all over the world.  Whatever your passion is, whatever you are good at, chances are you can do it in another country.  If I can stick out 3 years of school, who knows where He will take me from there!  I am excited to see where the Lord will lead me in this journey.  My biggest fear is complacency.

No comments:

Post a Comment